Cake Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter, softened
4 egg whites
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk
15 coarsely chopped Double Stuff Oreos
Cake Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. (Better Homes and Gardens suggests 375, but I find my edges dry out at that temp. Could be that I have a cheap oven, though.) Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temp for 30 min. Meanwhile grease pan. (I used the number 1 mold, but a rectangular 13x9 or two 9 in rounds would work.) In medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, while scraping sides and beating on medium speed until well combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla. Alternately add in flour mixture and and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed until just combined. Fold in Oreos. Spread batter into prepared pan(s).
3. Bake for 25-35 minutes (20-25 if using round pans) or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes then remove from pan(s) and allow to completely cool on racks.
Creamy White Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup butter flavored shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons milk
Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl beat room temp shortening and vanilla on medium speed for 30 seconds. Slowly add half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of milk. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk to reach spreading consistency. (Frosts middle, sides, and top of two 9 in rounds. Even though Better Homes and Gardens says to half the recipe for a 13x9, I knew I'd need extra for applying the M&M's and I didn't want to run out. So, I made the full amount and had probably about 1/2 cup leftover. And I tinted mine blue.)
No comments:
Post a Comment