Cupcake Background

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Basic Cheese Sauce for Macaroni and Veggies


This post has been a long time comin'. Nothin' better than cheese. It makes everything better. I found this basic recipe on the internet, but can't remember where. (Sorry.) I have found that the key to success is precise measuring of the flour and butter. Use measuring spoons and butter (not whipped margarine.) I know, I know, I know. "But butter is soooooo fattening." Trust me. Whenever I use a regular spoon for the flour or guess with the margarine, the consistency is wrong. It's just not worth it.

So, I have made this with many cheeses and cheese combinations. My favorite is half and half of sharp cheddar and white cheddar. Yum! You can make it with a bowtie pasta and throw in some chicken and broccoli for a (semi-) balanced meal. (If you just want to make it with noodles, cook between 3/4 and 7/8 of a pound of past. Not the whole pound or it will be macaroni and cheese soup.) Or you can take the recipe down to 1/3 of all measurements and it makes a good amount for around a pound of steamed veggies. The only drawback to this sauce is when it cools it gets pretty thick and it's not nearly as good left over.

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 c milk
pepper to taste ( I always skip this)
8 oz cheese of your choice, shredded

Directions:
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until just melted. Stir in flour very well. Let cook for a minute. take off of the heat source and slowly whisk in the milk. (If you like pepper, now is the time to add a dash.) Return to stove top and stir constantly until thick and bubbly. (If you don't stir, it takes forever to heat up and you run the risk of it burning on you before you know it.) Let it cook just a minute more. Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Immediately pour over noodles and/or veggies and serve.

Super easy. Very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment